Monday, August 31, 2009

Mismatched?

Pete Yorn and Scarlett Johannson? Beck and Charlotte Gainsbourg? My expectations are officially set to low for their collaborative albums. For a number of legitimate reasons:

1. Pete Yorn hasn't released a decent song since his debut musicforthemorningafter. That was in 2001.
2. Did anyone actually listen to ScarJo's Anywhere I Lay My Head? No? Don't worry, you weren't the only one. Limited vocal range overwhelmed by the production. Only one original song amidst the Tom Waits covers. It's frustrating because she had Dave Sitek and Nick Zinner among other backing musician on this album, yet we're still left with her dispassionate drone.
3. Charlotte Gainsbourg and Beck are on opposite sides of the music field. He gave us Sea Changes, which I loved and can't fault him. She gave us 5:55, which was a much more decent version of ScarJo's debut.

Maybe this just means actresses shouldn't become musicians. Though I now wonder if Jared Leto will team up with Cat Powers. That would be the best practical joke ever. Next to Ryan Adams marrying Mandy Moore.

Wait, Adams and Moore ARE married? What an odd, odd pairing.

Pete Yorn and Scarlett Johansson's Break Up is set for release on September 8. Beck and Charlotte Gainsbourg's IRM is out January of next year. I'll be shaking sleeping in my boots in anticipation.

No comments: