Monday, August 17, 2009

Love Will Tear Us Apart

I have a slight tremendous obsession with Ian Curtis and Joy Division. My first vinyl was Unknown Pleasures by them. I cried at the end of Anton Corbin's biopic Control, even though I knew how it would end. So it's all the more reason to include a cover of "Love Will Tear Us Apart," done by Broken Social Scene.

Sadly, I'm not a fan of this cover. Grandiose piano opening with such potential until you hear Kevin Drew's voice and you wonder how drunk was he while recording the vocals. The vocals are bearable until halfway into the song when he's taken to the bottle too heavily and sounds like your uncontrollable crying friend after a messy break up. I would love this version a lot more if I didn't want to slap Drew and tell him: Man up, pussy.

Listen and hear the piano difference.

No comments: