Thursday, August 13, 2009

Omaha's prodigal son

Warning: I have an unhealthy obsession with Conor Oberst. I won't discuss the length of my fanatic adoration but be prepared for many entries related to him.

I also have the Conor Coachella Curse. Three years running that I've been to Coachella, I've missed his set each and every year due to circumstances beyond my control. I think it's God ongoing joke with me, except he's the only one laughing and I'm the punchline.

On his early stuff, there was the noted "Conor yelp" that greatly divided new listeners into returning listeners or abstainers. Outer South is his latest release, featuring songs from his band mates as well. Unfortunately, the album's dragged down by Taylor Hollingsworth, who should stick to looking cute while playing the guitar. He's a tremendous finger picker but his voice beguiles his appearance. Nik Freitas and Jason Boesel (Rilo Kiley and the Elected's drummer) have noteworthy songs that deserve a listen. Nik Freitas, especially, is on my list of favorite new artists. And I never knew Boesel could be a songwriter.

On to the song with their wonderful Midwestern twang, it features Conor and Nik on vocals. So. Enjoy. And neat guitar solo at 2:59.


P.S. Visit Nik Freitas or Conor at their websites or iTunes.

No comments: