Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Friendly Fires

Vocalist Ed MacFarlane is a hip swiveling, dance fiend. Thus, adoration in its purest form is reserved for him. For a band who started off as postpunk hardcore ten years ago, it's amazing to see how the Friendly Fires have developed into their current state. Their self-titled debut album is a frenzy of pop and electronica with bass lines brought to the front. A friend of mine wasn't too pleased with their live show, stating if he wanted to hear their music, he would listen to A Certain Ratio instead. It's easy to see the influence as any band backed by horns with looped guitars and synths could illicit the comparison but Friendly Fires doesn't capture the lo-fi vocals of A Certain Ratio, nor do they try to. FF relies on, oddly, cowbells. Listen to any track and they're prominent along with Edd Gibson's fuzzy guitar.

I didn't plan to review their self-titled album as that's what Spin, Pitchfork, and Rolling Stone are for. (But if you read Rolling Stone after 1990, you don't have a soul as that paper is only good for wiping your ass.) But how else will I convince any to listen to Friendly Fires without praising their debut? I originally planned on posting my favorite tracks but my exuberance from Sunday night's show has exceeded my sense of logic. That aside, my favorite tracks: "White Diamonds" and "Photobooth." The former channels Depeche Mode while the latter track loops a disco drum and bass line. Lyrically, none of these tracks will be awarded a Nobel in literature. The underlying message to nearly all of the songs is: Boy and Girl are good friends. Cross the friendship line and you have heartbreak and regret.

It's a dance/rock album so, I say dance. Save the intrigue for the follow up album as I'm hooked on the synthesizers and loopings for now. All the more reason for me to see them play again in November with the xx at the El Rey.

In total DIY creativity, Friendly Fires' first music video:

No comments: