Thursday, October 29, 2009

Wishlist

On my commute to work, I think about acts/things that would make the world a better place. For instance, if I found the cure to cancer. Or if I were president, my first act would be to grant myself season passes to the Hollywood Bowl. But it wouldn't have to be front row box seats because I'm not greedy.

Today, I wish that the Arcade Fire followed in the footsteps of Neutral Milk Hotel. What path am I talking about? Release a critically acclaimed full-length record that the musical world is still creaming its pants over a decade later, do a grand tour and finally break up. Hell, I think My Bloody Valentine might have originated this plan with Loveless. Kevin Shields, you neurotic innovator.

Neon Bible, while good, was lackluster to the grandiose swell of Funeral. Which makes sense as the "break-out, indie darling meets the Universe" album is the hardest to follow. Other bands have fallen to this trap, some times known as the Sophomore Slump. The Strokes should have stopped after 12:51. Interpol had Turn on the Bright Lights. I'm glad the Postal Service had one album to their name. That's all they needed. So who else is on the list and where should they have stopped their careers?

Rilo Kiley with Take Offs and Landing. Under the Blacklight was a hot mess of homages to 1980 female singers. Jenny Lewis channeled Heart, Gloria Estefan and an array of other teased hair mallrats. What the hell is "dejalo?" And why should I be doin' the smoke detector? I will concede to a b-side of "The Execution of All Things" though as it's my favorite song from the band post-Take Offs.

Death Cab for Cutie after Transatlanticism. We all know "I will Follow You into the Dark" was the start of the end. You knew it. I knew it. Hell, Ben Gibbard must have known it. Give me the bite of old Ben Gibbard who would ask, "Am I drunk enough to drive you home?" (via "Champagne from a Paper Cup.")

The Decemberist after Picaresque. They ooze stage presence and I've never been let down by their live show. Was it the switch to Capitol Records for their last two releases that had me turn a deaf ear? Or am I just bored with their penchant for references to old folk tales and bayonets?

Fountains of Wayne after Welcome Interstate Manager as the constant rotation of "Stacy's Mom" on MTV proved to be the entrance to "One Hit Wonder" land for the band. Damn that infectious chorus and Stacy's mom who's got it going on. This album proved Adam Schlesinger genius song writing capabilities as he switched multiple genres, from crooning country to heartbreak emo to handclap pop.

Vampire Weekend has me on the fence. I know Contra will not be released till next year but their debut topped so many "Best of 2008" lists that I worry for their follow-up.

Speaking of "Best of 2008" and follow-ups, Bon Iver and Fleet Foxes are taking well-deserved breaks, but I wonder what 2010 has in store for both groups. A tiny fragment of myself flirts with the hope that this was a flash in the pan moment. How do you top For Emma? Actually on second thought, Fleet Foxes need to merge with My Morning Jacket and we would have an epic end result smashed heart strings and tearful eardrums. Thinks of the angelic harmonies!

This is becoming an unending list. So feel free to add your own.

No comments: